Friday, July 13, 2012

Space bubbles

I think train seat habits are curious.

In the subway, where the seats mostly line the walls of the subway cars, with the occasional two seaters lining up perpendicularly, people seat every over space and then fill in the blanks without hesitation.

On the lirr, where the seats are all perpendicular, broken into double seat and triple seat benches, people don't hesitate to take the second seat in the double bench and the triple bench, leaving the middle empty in the latter scenario. But lots of people stand rather than ask for that middle seat on the triple bench.

So it is ok to get close if you're invading personal space on one side but not on both?

I think it is weird. I'd rather share than stand. But it is probably a function of western culture where we are trained to demand our space bubbles and share them as a sign of intimacy.

So in that middle seat there is no escape or lean away room and that, I guess, is a bubble violation.

But, the only way to guarantee your bubble is by staying home.

So thank you for moving over for me.

I solemnly swear to always shower and use minimal scented products.

No comments:

Post a Comment