Sunday, June 17, 2012

Death to Meme

I have noticed I am becoming more peevish in my old age. 

Example:

I know people are all about the picture memes on the social media lately. Someone posts a picture which contains some kind of absolutist statement. And everyone hits like and reposts because Oh Em Gee look at the amazing wisdomity (TM) of that statement.

And, when I look, all I can see is the five different ways that statement becomes utterly absurd if you follow it to its logical conclusion. Maybe I am practicing reductio ad absurdum and maybe I'm bored of people not thinking through the ideas that they throw their staunch support behind.

The thing is usually these memes are ostensibly positive things. So would it be wrong to just take a pointy thing and go STABSTABSTAB to their delusion balloon? Because I kind of think the world would be a better place if people tried to actually do good things rather than just repost meaningless memes as if it somehow absolved them of responsibility to be contributing members of the global society. [Not that destroying their delusions would actually force them to take real action... but alas a woman can dream...]

Or I just a bad person? [Cause I'm okay with that too.]

No comments:

Post a Comment